Welcome to Breakfast with Nick! This page is just a placeholder on the WordPress site. For the current site, visit breakfastwithnick.com.
(Photo by Rick Sebak of WQED Pittsburgh.)
Hi, my name is Nick, and breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I hail from Grand Rapids, Michigan, where breakfast is a big thing. I took it for granted growing up, but it affected me nonetheless. Going out to breakfast was always a thing: with the family on weekends, with college friends on a slow morning, for business meetings… My early breakfast love was a now-gone little place called the Boston House (remember it, Grand Rapidians?) It was packed every Saturday with regulars, and they served up a deliciously cheap diner breakfast. Now I live, work, and play in the great city of Columbus, Ohio, which is amazing at many things, including breakfast. Columbus’ rich breakfast culture, as well as the places we travel, inspired me to begin writing about breakfast in 2007.
Yes, I eat lunch and dinner, too. But here are some of the reasons I really love breakfast:
- I like food and eating it
- I’m a morning person
- you can eat it whenever: breakfast, brunch, brinner, brlate night snack
- there are traditional favorites, and yet endless innovations
- it features a wide range of foods: sweet and savory, light and heavy, fruits and meats, dairy and starches, vegetables and proteins
- it can be as fancy or as down-home as you like
- breakfast always seems to be such a collective meal. You almost always go to breakfast with someone. You meet them for breakfast. You have breakfast with the family.
- it’s widely considered the most important meal of the day
Other things I enjoy:
Being a husband and father
Teaching theatre history and dramatic literature
Advocating for the arts (particularly with the arts company I co-founded, Wild Goose Creative)
If you want to learn more about the places I’ve been, you can peruse the list of reviews, or follow the Columbus Breakfast Map. Or you can read about my ideal breakfast, if I could bring together all of my best experiences at once.
You can also follow me on Twitter (@BreakfastwNick) or become a fan on good ole Facebook.
The great thing about breakfast is that every town, no matter how large or small, has at least one place that makes everyone say, “You need to visit _______ and try the _______.” If you’ve got one of those places, e-mail me at BreakfastWithNick [at] gmail [dot] com.
Thanks, and happy breakfasting!