(Photo by Genre Creative.)
Leslie: “Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?”
Ron: “People are idiots, Leslie.”
- Parks and Recreation
Seriously, why would you eat anything other than breakfast food? Breakfast is my favorite meal. I track down breakfast all over my city of Columbus, Ohio and anywhere I travel. In 2007 I started this blog as a way to capture the places we’ve visited through reviews and photos, plus occasional videos and recipes. In addition to this blog, I’ve written about food and restaurants for (614) Magazine, PC World Magazine, and guest blogs like Drink Up Columbus and Experience Columbus. In 2010 I appeared in the PBS documentary Breakfast Special, talking about Columbus breakfast places. Most importantly, I published my breakfast guidebook Breakfast With Nick: Columbus in November 2011.
Columbus is also a very supportive community, especially in the food, blog, and media worlds, and my book and my blog have been featured in the Columbus Dispatch, Columbus Alive, Columbus Crave, Mix 107.9, Good Day Columbus, 10TV, WOSU, WCBE Foodcast, Ascent, and The Lantern.
I’ve always been a fan of breakfast, and I started the blog as a hobby after graduate school. Yes, I eat lunch and dinner, too. But here are some of the reasons I really love breakfast:
- In general, I like food and eating it, and wanted an excuse to keep doing it
- I’m one of those morning people
- You can eat it whenever: breakfast, brunch, brinner, brlate night snack
- Breakfast can be solidly traditional or endlessly innovative
- It features a wide range of foods: sweet and savory, light and heavy, fruits and meats, dairy and starches, vegetables and proteins
- It can be as fancy or as down-home as you like
- It’s a collective meal. You almost always go to breakfast with someone: you meet them for breakfast, you have breakfast with the family.
- It’s widely considered the most important meal of the day
Other things I enjoy:
- Being a husband and father
- Teaching theatre history and dramatic literature
- Advocating for the arts (particularly with the arts company I co-founded, Wild Goose Creative)
- Craft beer
- Pipe smoking
- Trains and airplanes
- Playwriting and sketch comedy writing
- The city of Columbus, Ohio
- Small town post offices
ABOUT THIS BLOG
This blog features my travels and thoughts on where I eat breakfast. Just to get all legal for a second: all opinions are my own, and all text and photography are copyright me (unless otherwise noted). Please do not use them without my express permission.
To be honest, though, I’m a pretty forgiving when it comes to food. I tend to like a lot of things. So if you’re looking for a site with biting and vicious restaurant reviews, I’m not your guy. I’m honest about what I experience and what I like and dislike, but my approach is much more descriptive, “here’s-what-I-saw-what-do-you-think-about-it?”
I don’t have any formal culinary training (although I learned to make a mean scrambled egg at an early age). My experience is built from about six years of writing about food, restaurants, and their owners.
ABOUT MY BOOK
In November 2011 I published my first book, Breakfast With Nick: Columbus. The book is your complete guide to all of the unique, local, hard-to-find, mom-and-pop breakfast, brunch, coffee, and donut places in and around Columbus. Photography and design is by Genre Creative. To learn more about the book, or to find a copy, head here.
If you want to learn more about the places I’ve been, you can peruse the list of reviews or check out some of my articles or other media. You can read about my ideal breakfast, if I could bring together all of my best experiences at once.
The great thing about breakfast is that every town, no matter how large or small, has at least one place that makes everyone say, “You need to visit _______ and try the _______.” If you’ve got one of those places, please e-mail me about it!
Thanks for visiting, and happy breakfasting!